Faculty of Science

Broadening units

Further information

  • Careers in science
  • Interesting facts

An exciting feature of UWA's undergraduate courses are the broadening units.

Broadening units are a requirement of all five bachelor’s degrees and will provide you with knowledge beyond the fields in which you choose to specialise. You will be required to take four broadening units from outside your degree area, including at least one with a global or cultural focus.

These broadening requirements will give you the opportunity to study a diverse range of subjects as part of your degree and gain an understanding of different methods of enquiry. You may choose to study units that are of a particular interest to you or which add extra value to your primary degree area.

How does it work?

Broadening units fall into two categories, A and B. At least one of the four units needs to be chosen from Category A. These units focus on some aspect of the globalised and culturally diverse environment.

The remaining three units can be taken from Category A and/or Category B. Category B comprises an extensive range of electives from any discipline outside the degree for which you are enrolled (subject to meeting unit prerequisites). Units studied as part of a second major chosen from another degree can count towards your Category A and/or B broadening requirements.

You may take your broadening units at any time during your degree. When you enrol at UWA you will be provided with further information and advice to help you design your own study plan. This will help you determine where your broadening units will fit into your undergraduate course.

The Faculty of Science offers 10 Category A and almost 200 Category B units.  A complete list of these units is available in the Handbook. More information about broadening unit requirements can be found on the Future Students website

Category A broadening units offered by the Faculty of Science

Undertaking broadening units in these areas is an excellent opportunity for students in the fields of arts, commerce and design to incorporate science into their studies. 

You can count all approved Study Abroad or Student Exchange units (taught by your host institution and deemed to be equivalent to a six point UWA unit) as Category A broadening units provided that the units are not contributing towards your degree-specific major. Your category A requirement can also be fulfilled by completing a unit in a language other than English provided that it is not in the same discipline as your degree-specific major. 

Category B broadening units

Catgory B broadening units can be chosen from any area outside those in your degree, including Category A and language other than English units, provided you have fulfilled any unit prerequisites. You can either choose to study a range of electives as your category B units or take them as part of a second major chosen from outside your degree. There are many interesting Category B options as nearly all units offered at a Level 1 undergraduate level can be selected as Category B broadening units, giving you hundreds of choices.