The many centres and institutes at UWA have helped to establish and promote the University's international reputation for research across the sciences.
- Australian Herbicide Resistance Initiative
Working in partnership with the farming community and industry to develop research programs targeting herbicide resistance and to disseminate resistance management messages to encourage sustainable cropping across Australia.
- Centre for Atomic, Molecular and Surface Physics
Dedicated to research involving positron scattering from surfaces and materials, spin-polarised electron scattering from surfaces, and spin-polarised electron scattering from free single atoms.
- Centre for Energy Geoscience Aiming to better explore and develop Australia’s hydrocarbon energy resources, and to sequester greenhouse gases like CO2 in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy
Striving to improve the management of Australia’s environment through research that will bring environmental, economic and social benefits for Australia.
- Centre for Evolutionary Biology
Combining expertise in population, evolutionary, and molecular genetics, with phenotypic studies of selection.
- Centre for Exploration Targeting
Aimed squarely at the mineral industry’s need to increase the rate of discovery of new mineral deposits.
- Centre for Forensic Science
A centre incorporating a variety of disciplines in forensic science, including entomology, anthropology, DNA chemistry and pathology, criminal cold case reviews, forensic consultancy, teaching abroad and hosting international conferences on a variety of forensic issues.
- Centre for Integrated Human Studies
Bringing together the sciences, social sciences, arts and humanities to focus on the nature and future of humankind.
- Centre for Land Rehabilitation
Applies expertise from a range of disciplines including soil science, geomechanics, hydrology, geochemistry, soil biology, plant nutrition, plant physiology, restoration ecology and resource economics to the management of disturbed lands.
- Centre for Learning Technology
A nationally recognised developer of education programs and resources, and a provider of professional learning technology services.
- Centre for Legumes in Mediterranean Agriculture
Applying innovative science to the problems and priorities identified by the Western Australian grain and pasture legume industries.
- Centre for Marine Futures
Collaborative and cutting-edge research that promotes informed decision-making about our marine environment.
- Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis
Enabling research excellence by providing world class microscopy and microanalysis facilities and expertise to publicly funded researchers and industry.
- Centre for Regional Development
Focused on understanding and resolving some of the major economic, social and environmental challenges facing Australia’s regions and urban centres.
- Centre for Strategic Nano-fabrication
A centre examining the whole lifecycle of nanotechnology developments and all of the factors affecting product lifecycles in order to minimise impact on stakeholders and the environment.
- Centre of Excellence for Computational Systems Biology
Integrating the wealth of modern 'omics data (for example, genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics) to provide a whole-cell or whole-organism understanding of biological systems.
- Centre of Excellence in Natural Resource Management
Undertaking targeted, cost-effective and innovative research that makes a significant and recognised contribution to addressing Australia’s natural resource management problems.
- Centre of Excellence for Plant Metabolomics
Developing strategies to select or tailor plants for improved performance under environmental extremes and for improved production of food, materials or bioenergy.
- Geothermal Centre of Excellence
Developing multidisciplinary research to exploit and use low geothermal energy as an emission-free source of power for modern cities.
- International Centre for Plant Breeding Education and Research
Providing advanced education and research in plant breeding to enhance the world’s future supply of plant-based food, fibre and industrial raw materials in an era of changing climates.
- International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research
A collaborative centre that is international in scope and that achieves research excellence in astronomical science and engineering.
- The Marshall Centre for Infectious Diseases Research and Training
Founded in 2007 to honour UWA Nobel Prize laureate Professor Barry Marshall, the centre provides a focus for infectious diseases research and epidemiology studies.
- Plant Energy Biology
A cutting edge research centre focused on better understanding the way in which plants produce and use their energy systems in response to environmental change.
- Terrestrial Ecosystems Research Initiative
Conducting fundamental and applied research and extension on how terrestrial ecosystems function, and their responses to human impact and climate change.
- WA Biogeochemistry Centre
A centralised facility applying stable isotopes to research in both terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems, plant and animal ecology and physiology; soil chemistry, biology and biogeochemistry; as well as hydrology and climate studies.
Back to top