Staff and students of the School of Psychological Science conduct award-winning work.
2017 staff awards
- Carmen Lawrence: ARC Discovery Project grant (led by Petra Tschakert) 'Locating Loss from Climate Change in Everyday Places'
- Andrew Page and Karina Jorritsma as part of the UWA Centre for Transformative Work Design team: Award from the State Government to investigate the range of workplace factors that contribute to mental health and wellbeing in FIFO workers
- Lies Notebaert: UWA Research Collaboration Award 'The attentional basis of individual differences in clinical versus non-clinical worry'
- Alice Mason: UWA Research Collaboration Award 'Sleep, reward and selectivity: do rewards enhance sleep-dependent memory consolidation?'
- Flavie Waters and Melissa Ree: High Commendation in the Clinical Excellence and Patient Safety Category, National Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS) Awards, for the WA Clinical Research Centre ‘Sleep Well, Feel Well With a Mental Illness’.
- Clare Sutherland (with David White, Amy Burton): Best Article Award in Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications (CRPI) for their paper 'Choosing face: The curse of self in profile image selection'
- Ben Grafton: Raine Medical Research Foundation Cockell Research Collaboration Award
- Colin MacLeod (with Lies Notebaert, Ben Grafton): ARC Laureate Fellowship for his project titled 'Differentiating the cognitive basis of unproductive vs productive worry'.
- Troy Visser: UWA Student Guild’s Students’ Choice Teaching Award
- Ullrich Ecker: UWA Student Guild’s Students’ Choice Teaching Award
- Donna Bayliss, Jason Bell, Troy Visser, Gilles Gignac, Nic Fay, Pat Dunlop, Lisette Kanse, Romola Bucks, Werner Stritzke, Carmella Pestell, Neil McLean: Outstanding teaching evaluations
- Jeneva Ohan (with Alina Morawska, Karen Turner, Matthew Sanders): Mental Health of Young Australians Grant from Australian Rotary Health for 'Using Social Norms to Engage Parents in Interventions for the Child's Behaviour Problems'
- Sue Byrne (with Simon Wilksch, Tracey Wade): Mental Health of Young Australians Grant from Australian Rotary Health for 'A randomised control trial of an efficacious school-based eating disorder risk reduction program'
- Shayne Loft and Troy Visser: Defence Science and Technology Group grant for 'Human performance in the submarine command team'
- Pat Dunlop and Djurre Holtrop (with Marylène Gagné, Alex Luksyte): Bushfire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre funding for 'Enabling sustainable emergency volunteering'
- Carmela Pestell (with James Fitzgerald from PATCHES, Telethon Kids, and others): Australian Government Award 'Drug and Alcohol Program Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Diagnostic Services and Models of Care Grant Opportunity'
2017 student and alumni awards
- Jemma Collova: Best PhD poster at ARC Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders Conference.
- Anu Bharadwaj: Raine Annual Scientific Meeting best ECR presentation award
- Mark Shelton, BPhil (Hons) in Computer Science and Psychology: Prestigious ACS 1962 prize as the best Information Technology and Computing graduate this year across all WA Universities
- Briony Swire: Award of honourable mention on the Dean’s List for outstanding postgraduate theses
- Louise Delane: Award of honourable mention on the Dean’s List for outstanding postgraduate theses
- Laura McLaughlin-Engfors: 2017 Graduate Women WA Joyce Riley Bursary
- Ken Tan: Newton Fellowship to work at the University of Nottingham
- Nadia Cunningham: APS College of Clinical Psychologists Student Prize.
- Sarah Heppell: School Psychologists Association Early Career School Psychologist of the Year Award
- Prue Hepple: Peter Beumont Young Investigator Award at the Australia and New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders National Conference in Sydney.
- Belinda Cham: APS College of Organisational Psychologists Postgraduate Student Award
- Gina Chatellier: Best Paper: Symposium award APS 12th Industrial and Organisational Psychology Conference in Sydney
- Jane Chong: Best Paper: Individual Research Paper award APS 12th Industrial and Organisational Psychology Conference in Sydney
- Tim Ballard: UWA Graduate Research School Publication Prize (Social Science Quantitative)
2016 staff awards
- Elizabeth Newnham: UWA Faculty of Science Rising Star, 3rd prize
- Mark Hurlstone: School of Psychological Science Early Career Research Funding Achievement Award
- Shayne Loft: School of Psychological Science Mid-Career Research Funding Achievement Award
- Elizabeth Newnham: School of Psychological Science Early Career Publication Impact Award
- Shayne Loft: School of Psychological Science Mid-Career Publication Impact Award
- Shayne Loft, Troy Visser and Jeneva Ohan: Defence Science and Technology Group grant for 'Improving Warfighter Situation Awareness: Selection, training and intervention strategies to increase battlefield performance & survivability'
- Karina Jorritsma, Mark Griffin, Sharon Parker, and Daniela Andrei: Defence Science and Technology Group grant for 'Future submariner performance and endurance implications for a crewing concept'
- Clare Sutherland, Gill Rhodes and Romina Palermo: ARC Discovery Project grant for 'Who may judge a book by its cover?'
- Sue Byrne: UWA Research Collaboration Award for 'Defining the role of the intestinal microbiota in Anorexia Nervosa: A feasibility study'
- Lies Notebaert: UWA Faculty of Science Early Career Publication Award
- Shayne Loft: Defence Science and Technology Group grant for 'Optimising human-automation interaction in UAV command and control settings'
- Shayne Loft and Troy Visser: Defence Science and Technology Group grant for 'Automated track motion analysis to aid the submarine track manager: Optimising operator trust and behavioural reliance in the human-machine dialogue'
- Shayne Loft: 2016 U.S.A Department of the Defence (Office of Naval Research Global) Visiting Science Program grant for 'Adapting task automation to maximize human-system integration'
- Elizabeth Newnham: Department of Health 2016 New Independent Researcher Infrastructure Support Award
- Carmela Pestell (with Jade Sheen, Sue Littler, Debra Dunstan, Rachel Roberts, Reg Nixon): Innovation and Development Grant from the Federal Office for Learning and Teaching for 'Risk aware: enhancing students’ clinical competence in risky environments through blended simulation-based learning'
2016 student and alumni awards
- Jessica Tearne: Best Paper Award, Annual Conference on Disaster Preparedness and Response in Hong Kong
- Michael English: Margot Prior Prize for Best Student Paper at the December 2016 Australian Society for Autism Research Conference
- Sarah George: UWA Graduate Research School Publication Prize (Social Science Quantitative) – joint winner
- Tim Ballard: UWA Graduate Research School Publication Prize (Social Science Quantitative) – joint winner
- Kirsten Panton: Best Student Poster Award at the 2016 Asia-Pacific Conference on Vision
- Azhani Amiruddin: 'Best Data Blitz Presentation' at the 3rd Australasian Society for Social and Affective Neuroscience meeting
- Anna Jorgenson: Australian Psychological Society Prize in Psychology
- Anna Jorgenson: H. L. Fowler Prize in Psychology
- Riona Johnston: A. J. Marshall Memorial Prize
2015 staff awards
- Professor Colin MacLeod: Australian Psychological Society (APS) Distinguished Contribution to Psychological Science Award
- Ullrich Ecker: UWA Faculty of Science Rising Star, 2nd prize
- Troy Visser: UWA Guild Students’ Choice Teaching Award
- Gilles Gignac: UWA Guild Students’ Choice Teaching Award
- Romola Bucks, Pat Dunlop, Carmela Pestell, Shayne Loft, Allison Fox and Ullrich Ecker: Outstanding teaching evaluations.
2015 student and alumni awards
- Megan Bell: UWA Guild Students’ Choice Teaching Award
- Michael Wilson: UWA Guild Students’ Choice Teaching Award
- Denise Parker: UWA Guild Students’ Choice Teaching Award